Moodle HQ joined hands with H5P recently to incorporate one of the best plugins a Learning Management System (LMS) can offer to its teachers and learners/students. Once this integration into the Moodle platform is over, the plugin will be available as part of the core Moodle LMS. Now, the tool is going to be part of the Moodle from its 3.8 version onward.
That means, from Moodle version 3.8 onwards the teachers and educators are enabled to directly upload H5P content into their courses. They need not install any extensions for content updating. Even more so, this tool helps them reuse the content without the need for developing it from scratch. Moodle aims to extend the H5P integration in the next few releases too.
H5P, the acronym for HTML5 Packaged, is an interactive content creation tool for instructional designers and educators across platforms such as Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, Drupal, WordPress, and Brightspace. For that matter, using this framework, educators can share their interactive content with any system which supports the Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standards.
By the way, H5P is an open-source framework designed and developed by its parent organization, Joubel.
What is H5P?
It’s an amazing tool!
So much so, Martin Dougiamas, Moodle CEO, was quoted about H5P integration as saying, “Our users were asking for this, so we’ve made it a priority. With H5P standardized in Moodle’s LMS products, our teachers (and students) have the ability to use and share some interesting content without needing special tools…”
The coming together of Moodle and Joubel shares the common vision of empowering the educators by helping them create better interactive content faster, with the help of this tool.
H5P enables the educators to create such interactive content and has broadly divided the same into four content types: as,
- Games. It helps to create your training in the form of a game. H5P provides ten such types making learning enjoyable like a game. Ex: Flashcards and Find the words
- Multimedia. It helps to develop visually-appealing and interactive content such as Image sequencing, Find the Hotspot, Course Presentation, etc.
- Questions. It helps to access your learners with various question formats like Multiple Questions, Fill in the Blanks, Questionnaire, Summary, Interactive Video, and so on
- Social Media. It helps to create video content with/without audio. Ex: Interactive Video
Using these four types, you can create as many as 43 interactive content forms. That sounds awesome, doesn’t that? For example, create various question models from Question types: Arithmetic Quizzes, Drag and drop, Fill in the Blanks, Flash Cards, Find the Hotspot, Find the Words, and this list goes on. Thus teachers and educators can make amazing course content for learners using this tool.
Necessity is the mother of all inventions. You know that the statement is a cliche, don’t you? I have to go with it for want of a suitable alternative. And the saying is true with H5P as well.
This Open-source tool overcomes several obstacles when it comes to the eLearning industry because the content is king ( content should have been queen for us to see the beauty in the content and for engagement). They are as follows:
- Technology issue. Flash by Adobe was a great eLearning authoring tool introduced in the ’90s for developers to add animations to make content on the sites interactive. But it was equally problematic and outdated. But the solution came from some other corner through HTML which is not only a modern but also mobile-friendly responsive design).
- Monotonous content. Some LMSs have content authoring tools. However, the Moodle platform doesn’t have it. Now making interactive content is a real challenge for teachers. Then, how do they make their learning/training engaging and result-oriented? Consequently, the need of the hour is a special tool like H5P.
- Disengaged Learners. What is the best way to engage disengaged learners? Provide them interactive content material to reengage them. The L&D spending on these kinds of learners is synonymous with the filling of a broken cistern. For that reason, the disengagement of learners has to be addressed. Otherwise, it sucks out the valuable resources of your organization.
H5P addresses all three issues. That’s why Moodle users badly want it to be incorporated into Core Moodle.
How it works on Moodle 3.8
The complete integration of H5P takes time. However, the process is on and you can use H5P on Moodle with the help of the following steps.
- Prepare the interactive content at H5P.org
- Click on H5P button from Atto Text Editor (Which you by clicking on Add activity or resource) on your Moodle and enter the ULR in the pop
- Add this content to your course
As of now, that’s how you can use H5P within the platform. But the days are not off to completely have this interactive content tool within the core of this Open Source platform.